The Legend of the
Kingsburg Historical Park
Kingsburg Historical Society was organized by ten local citizens.
museum was first opened in the Southern Pacific Depot on California
The Kingsburg Historical Society purchased 8.9 acres belonging to
Fridolf Anderson for a purchase price of $8,000.
The site is known today as Kingsburg Historical Park.
The old Clay School building and restrooms were moved
from their original Smith Avenue location to the Park.The school,
built in 1913, was moved in three sections and the bell in the
belfry came from the Harrison School, another country school located
3 miles east of Kingsburg.
The tank house was moved by Neil VanDell from the Jack Tapp ranch on
Conejo Avenue to the Park.
Collection began of farm machinery, equipment, early printing
presses & household items.
The Peter Olson house was moved from Marion & Earl Streets. Mr.
carpenter by trade,
built his house in 1908. The Joe Ball family was the last to live in
it. Jean Smith, Madeline Kinsman and Elsa Smith are credited with
supervising the interior redecorating.
Various citizens of the community made substantial donations to the
refurbishing. The 12 place dinnerware setting in the kitchen was
hand painted by a local artisan.
The Olson Bros. Implements &Machinery
building was built to house equipment used in the business which
started in 1911. The business on Marion Street built and sold some
of the earliest farming equipment in the San Joaquin Valley,
including the “Swede Pump”. This pump drew water out of the many
canals throughout the state.
The sprinkler system and landscaping of the property began.
Covered wagons and
windmills were donated by Mrs. Al Marshall whose husband was an
The Hall of Fame was built with an
estate gift from the
late Harry Aslan, Past President of Lions Club International, and
houses memorabilia given him on his worldwide travels. The building
also houses pictures and data on many local residents.
Store was built and the many furnishings came from the original
The Medical Building houses many of the fixtures and equipment from
the office of the late Dr. Ewald Larson, an early physician and surgeon.
The fixtures in the Dentist Office are largely from the office of
late Conrad Kolander, D.D.S. Mayor Gordon Satterberg, also a
pharmacist, was instrumental in collecting and furnishing the items
in the Drug Store.
The Bottle & Antique items building was built by Archie Olson in
memory of his brother Ray, and holds many of his collections.
A replica of the old fire hall was built to house the 1928 LaFrance
fire truck and early ambulance donated by the City of Kingsburg Fire
Kingsburg Ice Company’s Ice Wagon
made in the early
1920’s, is being restored by Stan Ahlstrand. A 1917 White Truck with
wooden spokes and rubber tires, this vehicle was donated by Fred and
Frances Havenstein. A 1880 Buggy which came over from Sulvang by
Augest Smith who bought it on his honey moon. The Buggy was donated
by Dave Wiebe.